Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Stepping Out!

There have been many times in my life where I have heard crazy stories at church about people stepping out in faith to be obedient to God.  One man gave a car away, another family gave their savings to the church.  You hear these stories and are wowed by them.  If it was you feeling the stirrings of your heart to do something huge what would you do? We all hope that we would take that step and obey the Lord.  I am going through this right now and let me tell you it is basically scary as you know what.  But at the same time you know it is the Lord working in your life to do something really really big.  I'm not sure which part is more frightening: taking the step or the fear of what people will say.

I am so grateful that my husband is with me on this because otherwise it would be even more difficult. I will say that he was taken back but had no doubts about following God's will for our life! We are taking this giant step of faith and are just going with it! I know non believers will think I am crazy but just maybe it will open their  eyes & hearts.  The Lord has been telling me that I need to sell my engagement ring to give some to our church & use some of the money to start a ministry to deliver dinners to underprivileged  people.  I will say that this did not just happen over night... the Lord has been shouting it for a few weeks now.  I was like ... Lord surely not! My most valuable possession!  I have argued, cried, & tried bargaining with the Lord.  But it all came down to this... it's just a ring, a thing. And actually something that at a time in my life I cherished above the Lord.   I started thinking about the number of lives I can change with that money.  The number of souls I could save.  Can you put a price on that? NO! So here I am freaking out a little... but at peace with my decision.  Let's take a look and see what the Word has to say about being obedient to the Lord.

"Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."
                                                    Luke 11:28

"If they obey and serve him, they will spend the rest of their days in prosperity and their years in contentment."                              Job 36:11

"But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted."
                                                  Romans 6:17

Being obedient to God is not a walk in the park and is usually doesn't make any sense.  But this is how he takes an impossible situation and make it into a "God Situation".  He wants to use us to make the most amazing things happen.  I dare you to take that step out... follow God's will for your life.  It doen't have to be as extreme but if it is something that He has put on your heart to do... DO IT! I know it's scary.  I am scared to death at times.  You wouldn't know it but I am really shy around people I don't know and have a hard time starting up conversations with new people.  And I am about to head up a ministry that involves going to strangers homes to deliver food and hopefully share the Lords love with them.  The one thing I am certain of is that the Lord will be right there with me holding my hand and putting me in the places I need to be at just the right times.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
                                                Philippians 4:13

My Prayer Today:  Father please give me the courage and strength to carry out your will & desires for my life.  Stepping out in faith for you is so scary Lord... please bring me peace as I live my life according to your will.  Lord I pray that you give everyone else courage to follow your will and to choose you over what is easy or comfortable.  I know if each day we listen to your guidance and live a life to glorify you we can impact the world.  I love you so much and am excited to see what you have planned for my life.

3 comments:

  1. Andrea, your blog is very encouraging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! My mother in law is in charge of Angel Food Ministries at her church and that is some what like what you will be doing soon. She does not go to strangers doors, but they are able to order a bunch of food at a discounted rate to be delivered once a month. I can tell you more about it in person, and I would LOVE to hear more about what you are doing!
    I love your blog! It is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete