Tuesday, August 16, 2011

American Dream

It is so easy to get caught up in the "American Dream".  Make as much money as possible and acquire as much stuff as possible.  I know that I am so guilty of this! I have to make a conscious effort to not be envious & jealous of others.  I have always struggled with not being satisfied with what I have been blessed with.  We need to stop and think about what the rest of the world has.  Some families only eat rice & beans one time a day if they are lucky! And we complain that our filet is not cooked perfectly.  Some children only have the clothes on their back, yet we spend $250 on one pair of jeans.

 I'm not saying you can't splurge every once in a while on that special occasion.  But is it really necessary to only buy designer?  At one time I would have thought... um yes! If I don't have that LV purse what will people think.  If the soles of my shoe are red they will really notice all the nice things I have! Who cares... let me rephrase that...it shouldn't matter what people think.  It should only matter what the Lord thinks!  I went through my closet and was pretty upset as I looked at my special shoes that have that fancy red sole.  I  thought about what that 1300 would have paid for.  I could have fed a child for a whole year if I would have donated that to the food pantry.  I have had to take a step back and really look at my life and what I treasure.  When I get to heaven and the Lord asks me what good I have done.  Wasting money on myself for things that don't last will not be at the top of my list.   Lets take a look at the Word.

"Do not store up yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
                                               Matthew 6:19-21

"No one can serve two masters.  Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other.  You cannot serve both God and Money."
                                              Matthew 6:24

"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'"
                                               Hebrews 13:5

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.  For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."
                                             Colossians 3:1-3

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving."
                                             Colossians 3:23-24

It is pretty clear that the Lord does not value treasures of this world.  I am not saying that money is bad.  Money is good it is what feeds & clothes us.  But when everything in your life is centered around money, status, and stuff it becomes sin.  And sin keeps us from walking closely with the Lord. For many people earthly treasures have become idols that they put before that Lord!  I encourage you to take a step back and really look at your life and what you spend your money on.  Then look at what that extra money could really be used for that would bring the Lord joy! We are called to glorify the Lord in all that we do.  Are you?

My Prayer Today:  Most gracious Father.. I pray that you will open peoples eyes to those in need around us.  We are so "Me, Me, Me" centered that often cast your desires to the side Lord.  Help us to be more conscious of our choices and to treasure what is most important Father, YOU! Help us to let go of greed & envy so that we can cherish the things that really matter in life.  Help us to be a light in the dark world so we can glorify you in all that we do!  Thank you for loving me with my flaws and all  & for your most gracious mercy.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment